Monuments

Oberleiten Manor
Perfall Tomb
Vineyard St. Georg
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
Radspielerhaus
Town hall
The Royal House
Teorfalplatz
Hochburg
Karl-Haider-Monument
Probst Manor
Weindl Farm
The tomb of Jennerwein

Oberleiten Manor

If you ever had the chance to see the German TV-Serie „Ein Bayer auf Rügen“ with Wolfgang Fierek as policeman Valentin Gruber, you might have also noticed the wonderful landscape and the farm. This setting also has been used for other film exposures. The building is the Oberleiten Manor at lake Schliersee. Here it is also possible to book a room during your holidays.

The farm lies at one of the oldest settlement sites around. The reason is the elevated position on a height of 900 metres above the lake. „Chunrad ab der Leiten“ is the oldest ancestors of the family name „Leitner“ and he also was the first namely known owners of the Oberleiten Manor. Before the year 1500 he also had the permission to do mining.

May and Marlene Leitner and their family live on the so called „Oberleitenhof”. The small holiday apartments are very comfortable and during your stay you will be provided with lots of tips for your leisure activities.

Children can play on the playground,  help to take care of the animals and if they like, even help to work inside the barn stables of the farm.

The Oberleiten Manor is perfect for adults and children. From here you can start some trips around. The hiking paths are well-signposted and lead you for example to the castle ruins of Hohenwaldeck.


Anton von Perfall

The author Anton Alexander Albrecht Baron von Perfall was one of the most popular hunting novelists of the German-speaking world at the end of the 19th century. The collection of stories „Auf der Wurzhütte“ as well as the novels „Der Jagdteufel“, „Jägerblut“ and „Baronin Burgl“ are only a few of his famous works. Anton von Perfall came from Landsberg am Lech and loved the region of Schliersee. He and his wife Magda Irschick, an actress from Vienna, settled down in Schliersee.

On November 3rd 1912 Anton von Perfall passed away in Schliersee. His grave and the memorial site of the passionate nature watcher and hunter lie at the circular path of lake Spitzingsee.

Originally a part of the circular path was a roadbed. The route was built in 1919 in order to cart trees away. The forests in the region had been almost totally destroyed during a heavy storm.


King Ludwig II of Bavaria

One of the most famous guests of the region of Schliersee was King Ludwig II of Bavaria. Anneliese Amman, who was working on her book „Schliersee und sein Bauerntheater“ (Schliersee and its Country Theatre) in 1990. For this reason she did research inside the chronicle of the royal fisherman Franz Schrädler from Schliersee. There she found out, that the Bavarian King came to Schliersee when he was 20 years old.

The author also discovered some information that the so called fair-tale king stayed in Schliersee from Mai 29th to May 31st in 1865. According to a newspaper report of the „Augsburger Postzeitung”, King Ludwig II of Bavaria visited a wedding party in Schliersee. 

The royal visitor stayed at the public house „Fischer Liesl“and explored the small town, the vineyard and Wörth Island during a hiking tour. Afterwards the fisherman Schrädler took him to Fischhausen by boat. From there they travelled to the location of the weeding party in Neuhaus. In honour of his stay in the region of Schliersee, a bronze sculpture of King Ludwig II of Bavaria was put up at the vineyard.

Radspielerhaus

The so called „Radspielerhaus“ is a typical residential house of the craftsmen families of the region of Schliersee.  The building is situated behind the „Xaver-Terofal-Platz“, under the vineyard.  For the first time  the building was listed in a written document in 1474. Since the 17th century, the „Radspielerhaus“ also bears the name „Stidl“. This word originates from the former owners, which lived there during the 15th century.

The name giver of the „Radspielerhaus“ is a businessman from Munich named Radspieler. He bought the historical building about 100 years ago and lived there until 1884. The alley „Radspielergasse“ has also been named after him.

After his death the building has been taken over by the Radspieler community of heirs and his daughters moved in.

{"LNG":11.8664704, "LAT":47.7331256, "UK":"Radspielerhaus"}

Contact:
Radspielerhaus Schliersee
Radspielergasse 4
83727 Schliersee

Rathaus (Town hall)

The town hall of Schliersee has a very special story to tell. It was built in 1477 and is known as one of the most beautiful municipal administration buildings of the whole Alpine foreland. During the time the building was constructed, it has been dedicated to the church St. Sixtus and until 1488 the cathedral chapter was located here. Later on it was moved to Munich and the protectorate judges took over this classy building as their domicile.

1756 the house was sold to a private citizen and since 1920 the town hall of Schliersee is located here. The whole exterior facade as well as the rooms inside had to be redesigned by well-known artists and craftsmen.

An old oil painting, a relict from the times the building was the domicile of the protectorate judges, is situated above the open-hearth fireplace at the ground floor. The local councillors meet at regular intervals inside the historical conference hall. 

This history-charged room is also used for romantic reasons. People from all over the world, who want to get married in Schliersee, celebrate their wedding inside the historical conference hall.




{"LNG":11.86495543, "LAT":47.73427519, "UK":"Rathaus Schliersee"}

Contact:
Rathaus Schliersee (Town Hall)
Rathausstraße 1
83727 Schliersee
Phone: +49(0)8026 6009-0
Fax: +49(0)8026 6009-60
E-Mail: rathaus(at)schliersee.de
Internet: rathaus.schliersee.de

The Royal House (Das königliche Haus)

Not only farmers and craftsmen love Schliersee and the scenery around, also aristocratic families have recognised the beauty of the Schliersee region. Opposite the former „Taverne zum Partenhauser“, an equine coaching inn, the electoral prince Max IV. Josef of Bavaria had a house built in 1803. His horses have been placed in stables on the ground floor and right above he stayed in a living-dining room with stuccoed ceilings. The house had no kitchen and the electoral prince went to the „Taverne zum Partenhauser“ and had a meal cooked by the famous landlady „ Fischerliesl“.

1817 the House of Wittelsbach family bought a monastery at lake Tegernsee. For this reason a link road was built and led to the Royal House at lake Schliersee. The so called „Prinzenweg“ is a wonderful hiking path and you can choose several routes which have a length between 8 and 15 kilometres. They will lead you along Alpine huts to places with a breathtaking view. A walk along the mountains have height differences between 100 and 700 metres.

King Max died in 1825, his son and follower King Ludwig I. sold the house during his regency. Unfortunately the original character of the former tenurial of the House of Wittelsbach has disappeared due to many building projects during the years. Still, it is worth starting or ending a hiking tour right here on the  „Prinzenweg“ .



{"LNG":11.8639919, "LAT":47.7347248, "UK":"königliches Haus"}

The Royal House (Das königliche Haus)

Rathausstr. 2
83727 Schliersee

Terofalplatz (=Terofal place)

The so called Xaver-Terofal-Platz or Terofalplatz lies in the centre of Schliesee, next to the Seestrasse. Right in the middle of this place a maypole is set up. It is known as one of the most beautiful maypoles in Upper Bavaria. The huge tree is decorated with colourful figures´ made by Paul Neu, a famous artist and designer. The place is encircled by the Hotel Terofal, the Country Theatre and the Lederer house.

The history of the Hotel Terofal is closely linked to the history of the Country Theatre. 1891 Xaver Terofal bought the Hotel „Neuwirt“, reconstructed the building and named the new hotel „Seehaus-Terofal“.  Xaver Terofal came from the market town called Dorfen and worked there as a butcher. Next to his hotel he built the Country Theatre. The building was planned by Emanuel Seidls. He was a very popular architect from Munich. By building the hotel and the theatre, a very successful cooperation has been initiated.

1947 the stage house has been destroyed by a huge fire. One year after this tragic incident, a new theatre has been built and reopened. Ten years later the Country Theatre had to be closed and on July 21st 1966, Josef Peitner, theatre advisor of the Schliersee society for traditional costumes, Jenny Haibel-Dreher and her husband Willy Haibel made a fresh start. Since 1994, the Schliersee Country Theatre is a registered association. On a regular basis performances take place and the programme changes repeatedly. Tickets can be ordered at the internet platform of „München Ticket” or at the Schliersee Guest-Information.

On the opposite of the Hotel Terofal and the Country Theatre is a very colourful and impressive building called „Ledererhaus”. Many generations of red tanners lived here and worked cattle skin into leather. For the whole working process lots of water is needed and therefore lake Schliersee has been an ideal position for the tanners.

Meanwhile, the „Ledererhaus” is a small boardinghouse. From here you can walk to most of the sights of Schliersee.




{"LNG":11.86584592, "LAT":47.73318197, "UK":"Xaver Terofal Platz"}

Xaver Terofal Place (Xaver Terofal Platz)

„Hochburg“ and Karl-Haider-Monument

Karl Michael Haider was one of the most popular landscapist and portraitist in Bavaria. His most famous works are i.a. the portrait of Elise Greinwald, a flower field, Moni and the woman from Schliersee.

Haider lived from 1846 to 1912 and was a friend of the painter Wilhelm Leibl, one of the most important representatives of the German Realism. Another good friend was the author Anton Baron of Perfall. Both contributed greatly to the fame of the village of Schliersee and the region around. Because of this reason, one street in Schliersee is named after Karl Haider.

The Karl-Haider-Monumet lies at a hill, which sticks out at the slope of the so called Schliersberg. The memorial has been put up 1921 from the Schliersee Tourist Association at the location of the former „Hochburg“, the residence of the „Waldecker“. The stone bench as well as the stone column and the bronze sculpture of the painter have been designed by the German sculptor and medallist Hermann Lang. Also, the houses underneath the monument are counted as something special in the region of Schliersee. They all have the house name  „Burger“



{"LNG":11.86905652, "LAT":47.73592386, "UK":"'Denkmal Hochburg Karl Haider"}

Hochburg und Karl-Haider-Monument

Hans-Miederer-Str.
83727 Schliersee

Probsthof (provost courtyard)

„Underprobst Rechtthaler“ , the local administrator of the monastery called „Unsere-Liebe-Frau” and his followers lived at the so called Probsthof (provost courtyard). In written documents about the building reach back to the early 16th century. All in all 19 owners have been documented in ecclesiastical records from the time between 1561 and 1976.

The former monastery property of the Schlierse chapter of canons moved to Munich in 1493. The former office of the „Underprobsten“ is presented at the Bavarian National Museum. The interior of the office is known as one of the highlights of the early cabinetmaker's trade, populary known as „Kistlerhandwerk” (Kistler´s  handcraft).

Today a restaurant is situated at the former provost courtyard. It is called „Restaurant Bartlbauer da Angelo“ and serves delicious Italian specialities.



{"LNG":11.86960906, "LAT":47.71156363, "UK":"Denkmal Probsthof"}

Contact:
Restaurant "Bartlbauer da Angelo"
Neuhauser Str. 3
83727 Schliersee - Fischhausen
Phone: +49(0)8026 9258530

Weindl Farm (Bauernhof zum Weindl)

The Weindl property is one of the most beautiful buildings of the region of Schliersee and still in its original state. One of the most famous resident of the region. His name – „Weindl-Lenz“. Many former newly-weds from all over the world still remember him.  His real name was Lorenz Leitner and he worked as Registrar General. He also worked as captain of the mountain troops and worked as 2. Mayor. At the same time he held numerous honorary offices.

In the past, the building belonged to the so called four „Fischer-Lehen“ (fishermen fiefdom) of the Schliersee monastery. The fishermen lived inside the buildings and tied up their boats at the lakeside Schliersee.

{"LNG":11.86903, "LAT":47.73016, "UK":"Bauernhof zum Weindl"}

Weindl Farm (Zum Weindl)

Seestraße 24a
83727 Schliersee
Phone: +49(0)8026 4309

The tomb of Jennerwein and Marterl

Georg „Girgl“ Jennerwein is one of the most famous legends of the region of Schliersee and also known as „Wildschütz Jennerwein“ (The Poacher Jennerwein). To tribute him, the German painter and author Werner Schlierf wrote a play for the Schliersee Country Theatre. Also the play "Bluat von da Gams" (Blood of the chamois),  which is performed at the Wasmeier Open-Air Museum Schliersee, is about Jennerwein. The poacher was found dead at the mountain „Peißenberg“, also known as „Rinnerspitz”, at November 14th in 1877.

Georg Jennerwein was born in 1848 in Holzkrchen in the administration district of Miesbach. Unfortunately his exact birth date is not known. His father also was a poacher and has been caught during a hunt by royal hunters. In front of his son he was shot to death. 1870/71 Jennerwein served as soldier during the Franco-German War. Later on he came to Schliersee and worked as woodworker. During this time he realised that he could earn much more money with poaching. All locals knew about his activities, but no-one could really prove it.

Court papers document that Johann Josef Pföderl, one of his former friends, had caught him poaching on November 6th 1877 and shot him down. Nevertheless, it also was assumed during the beginning of the trial, that Georg Jennerwein was murdered because of jealousy. Both Pföderl and the huntsman Simon Lechenauer were in love with the Alpine herds woman and dairymaid „Agathe“. She came from the so called „Baumgarten-Alm“. Agathe and Jennerwein had a child and because the poacher was also known as womanizer, Josef Pföderl and Simon Lechenauer were upset. All charges had to be dropped against Simon Lechenauer, because he denied having something to do with the murdering. Pförderl has been sentenced to 8 months in prison. Inside the court papers the violation of limit concerning his authorisation were confirmed and not crime of passion. After his dismissal,  Johann Josef Pföderl has never been paid attention to by the locals.

The final resting place of the poacher Georg „Girgl“ Jennerwein is at the Westenhofen cemetery next to the church St. Martin. Because of the mysterious circumstances of his death, Jennerwein turned into a symbol of the revolt against the authorities. Influential members of the community had the original grave cross moved to another place. The new tomb ran to seeds during the Second World War and the knowledge about the original grave went lost. Peißl Wastl paid for the restauration of the tomb of Jennerwein in 1947. 1961 some members of the Society for Traditional Costumes of Schlierachtal took over the care of the grave. The original grave cross is from 1877.

 

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Jennerwein

ATTENTION: Translation in progress - please switch to german for missing reports.

Home/Summer/Cultural events / Savoir-vivre/Monuments

Contact


Markt Schliersee
Gäste-Information Schliersee
Perfallstr. 4
83727 Schliersee
GERMANY
Phone: +49 (0)8026 6065 - 0
tourismus@schliersee.de

Legal & privacy

Newsletter





Leaflets


Interesting



To top

PLANEN & BUCHEN
FOOTERINFO
DEBUG
;
.